John Kay is described in The Mimico Story as Mimico's first commuter. Born in Edinburgh, Scotland, he emigrated to Canada, first to Montreal and later Toronto. In the late 1870s he bought five acres of land on the waterfront, establishing what would later become one of the larger Mimico Beach estates.
The Kays were a prominent family in Mimico taking on many leadership positions in the community and the family would remain on the estate into the early 20th century.
The estate would be sold in 1947. The West Point Motor Hotel and Restaurant was built on the site in 1952. It catered to the many tourists that visited Toronto, and was comprised of several buildings. The restaurant, which included a venue for live music, was located along Lake Shore Blvd West. It included a "diner" just within the front door with a more formal restaurant space to the back and in the basement. Further behind and closer to the lake were the three motel buildings with plenty of parking in between.
In the early 1980s the Grand Harbour condominium complex was built on the site.